Honours and Peer Recognition
Distinctions and Awards
- Georges Affaki was appointed by the French Minister of Europe and Foreign Affairs as a Foreign Trade Counselor of France by Decree of 18 January 2019.
- Winner of the European Prize for Interdisciplinary Research (2002).
- Recipient of the Starr Foundation Scholarship (1991-1995).
- Recipient of the Calouste Gulbenkian Scholarship (1991-1995).
- Appointed to the Abu Dhabi Global Market (ADGM) Arbitration Centre’s Panel of Arbitrators.
- Nominated to the Panel of Arbitrators and the Panel of Conciliators of ICSID through 23 May 2024.
- Appointed as a Chartered Arbitrator on the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators’ Presidential Panel.
- Renewed for a second term as a member of the ICC International Court of Arbitration, beginning 1 July 2018, by the ICC World Council on the proposal of the President of the Court.
- Admitted as a Fellow of the Australian Center for International Commercial Arbitration.
- Admitted as a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.
- Appointed to the Panel of Arbitrators of the Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC).
- Appointed to the Panel of Arbitrators of the Teheran Regional Arbitration Centre (TRAC).
- Appointed to the Panel of Arbitrators of the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC).
- Appointed Chairman of ICC France Banking Commission.
- Appointed to the Editorial Board of Banque et Droit, the leading banking law journal published by the French Banking Federation.
- Ranked by Chambers and Partners as amongst the Most in Demand Arbitrators– France.
- Ranked by Euromoney in the 2016-2018 Guide to the World’s Leading Experts in Commercial Arbitration, the international legal market’s leading guide to the top legal practitioners advising in commercial arbitration.
- Ranked by Chambers and Partners in Dispute Resolution: Litigation – France.
- Ranked by Chambers and Partners AFFAKI in France, Banking & Finance: Financial Services Regulation.
What They Say About Us …
“AFFAKI provides ‘an outstanding level of expertise and strategic insight’ in litigation. The Firm is ‘excellent in international litigation’. It enjoys a reputable expertise in trade finance and in international regulatory investigations in the banking sector. The Firm advises major French and international banking institutions. It has recently successfully represented National Bank of Kuwait in international proceedings against [an international contractor]. Georges Affaki ‘fully understands his clients’ needs’ and provides ‘valuable and relevant advice’.”
Legal 500, Commercial Litigation – France.
“Works of Prof. Dr. Georges Affaki helped Russian Foreign Trade Academy team – Ekaterina Grivnova, Mikhail Ovsyanikov, Yulia Turchenkova, Alexandra Grebneva and Alexandra Shmarko – win the 3rd International Trade Law and Commercial Arbitration Moot ICC Lex Mercatoria.” Alexandra Grebneva, Russian Foreign Trade Academy team member.
“Dr Georges Affaki is an incontestable authority in his field.”
The Co-Chair of the 2nd Dutch Arbitration Day, introducing Professor Dr Affaki as Chairman of the Panel on Financial Services Arbitration, Amsterdam.
“Dr Georges Affaki is one of the world’s foremost experts on bank guarantees, the author of the leading textbook on the URDG, and an acknowledged international arbitrator and expert.”
Anette Stavem Høgmoen, Chair of the Norwegian ICC Banking Commission, introducing Georges Affaki as main speaker at the Oslo Conference.
“Georges Affaki, an expert in both fields, has contributed the most to the rapprochement of banking and arbitration.”
The Chairman of Le Café des Arbitres, introducing Georges Affaki as speaker.