Khrystyna Kostiushko is an Avocat admitted to the Paris Bar and to the Kyiv Regional Bar. Her practice focuses on international dispute resolution.
Khrystyna is a graduate of the Geneva LL.M. in International Dispute Settlement (MIDS). She also holds a Master’s degree in International Private Law and a Bachelor’s degree in International Law with honours from the Institute of International Relations of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv.
Having worked as an associate in French and Ukrainian law firms prior to joining AFFAKI, Khrystyna has represented clients in arbitration proceedings under the auspices of various arbitral institutions and rules (including ICC, LCIA, ICSID, UNCITRAL, GAFTA, and FOSFA). She also has experience in appearing before courts in cases relating to the enforcement of foreign arbitral awards.
Khrystyna is recognised in the first edition of “Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in France 2022” for work in international arbitration.
She is fluent in English, French, Ukrainian, and Russian.
Experience in investment treaty arbitration*
- Represented European investors as claimants against Serbia in an ICSID arbitration arising from the stalled construction of a shopping center in Belgrade.
- Acted for Dutch and BVI investors as claimants against Ukraine in an ICSID arbitration arising from the expropriation of an aluminum plant.
- Represented a MENA region State as respondent in an UNCITRAL arbitration initiated over the termination of a mining concession.
- Acted for a MENA region State as respondent in a UNCITRAL arbitration arising from investments in the real estate sector.
Experience in commercial arbitration*
- Represented BVI and Cypriot companies as claimants in an LCIA arbitration (seated in London) concerning the performance of an investment agreement and successfully secured a worldwide freezing order from English courts against the opposing party.
- Represented buyers in an ICC arbitration (seated in Frankfurt) in a post-M&A dispute arising from the acquisition of a commercial bank.
- Acted for a major Ukrainian producer of shelf natural gas in an SCC arbitration (seated in London) arising out of the performance of a contract for drilling, testing, and completing the well sites in the territorial waters of Ukraine near the Crimean Peninsula.
- Represented a Ukrainian businessman in a multi-million dollar ICC arbitration (seated in London) in a shareholders’ dispute concerning the corporate governance of a large Ukrainian agricultural company.
- Acted for minority shareholders of a multinational alcohol company in an LCIA arbitration (seated in London) concerning a shareholders’ dispute and provided advice on related proceedings in Cyprus and the BVI.
- Represented corporations and individuals before Ukrainian courts in proceedings relating to the enforcement of arbitral awards under the New York Convention.
Pro bono work*
- Provided pro bono consultations on French immigration law as a part of the collaboration with Droits d’urgence Association (France).
* Prior to joining AFFAKI